This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
Title: UAS Program Intern
This internship is full-time during the summer (30 – 40 hours per week). The ideal candidate will be a Sophomore or above pursuing a degree in Engineering, Geographic Information System (GIS), Survey, Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), or similar. Open to applicants in the Denver, CO and Minneapolis, MN area. Only local candidates will be considered. Recent graduates are not eligible for an internship.
The intern will travel on occasion, 25% of the time, to various company locations within their service territory. The company will reimburse for mileage based on the company rate.
Expected Start Date: May 2023
Position Summary: Xcel Energy is seeking an intern to join its expanding Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Program Office. The UAS Intern will work with the UAS Program Office to support data processing workloads (photogrammetric, LiDAR, thermal, etc), planning and scheduling of day-to-day flights, assisting in project management activities and piloting missions as required.
- Data Processing and Analysis: Collect, process, and analyze various types of remote sensor data (RGB imagery, LiDAR, thermal). Explore system integrations to meet the needs of various business units. Developing standardized collection, processing and analysis methodologies to support the UAS Program Office’s incoming raw data stream, to deliver consistent and professional deliverables to the business units.
- UAS Operations: Collection of various data sets to support business units across the enterprise. Demonstrating technology to new stakeholders. Works with Business Units to test and validate new operating profiles. Identifies needs for safety and operational improvements.
- Use Case Development: Partners with business units to find and conceptualize new use cases for drones, robotics, AI, and digital twins utilizing new or existing technology.
- Business Development: Participates in UAS-related procedure/policy development. Participates in business planning exercises, budgeting, and sustainment/scalability studies. Communications and Relationship Building: Interact with team and business unit partners and effectively communicate information; develop strong relationships with individuals inside and outside of the direct team.
- Gain familiarity with systems, tools and processes used in the UAS organization.
- Gain familiarity with the operations of the electric and gas utility operations.
- Able to work full-time and on-site during the summer.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college or university; pursuing a degree in Engineering, GIS, Survey, UAS, Data Science, or similar.
- Senior, or Graduate student.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively.
- Valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation.
- Ability to work outside and lift 50 pounds.
- FAA Part 107 Certification or interest in becoming certified.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products, SharePoint, GIS, CAD, Pix4D, LiDAR, or other similar software.