University of Wisconsin-Madison
This position will work within a team of software engineers and soil scientists to develop and support the SnapPlus farm nutrient management software (http://snapplus.wisc.edu). This software uses soil science mathematical models and agronomic best practices so that Wisconsin farmers can economically plan manure and fertilizer applications for their farms, while reducing the risk of soil loss and water pollution. This software assists farms through a state of Wisconsin farm management planning process and is used by farmers, agricultural consultants, land management planners and government agency staff at the county, state, and federal levels. In addition to managing GIS data, the individual must be able or willing to learn how to write, test, and debug code. Candidates should be enthusiastic about working on all phases of software development and distribution including debugging, deployment, maintenance, documentation, and email/phone support for users.
Performs spatial analysis using online tools and project management techniques. Creates both mapping applications and may create data visualizations.
- 10% Creates maps and performs a wide range of geospatial analyses in support of a variety of projects
- 10% Adheres to established cartographic standards and quality assurance/quality control processes
- 30% Manages a wide variety of project-specific and reference geospatial data in accordance with defined data management standards
- 20% Collaborates with other IT staff to deliver project deliverables and visuals
- 5% Gathers, verifies, and coordinates data used for spatial analysis, data sciences, field operations, mapping, and data visualizations across programs and other agencies
- 5% May support geospatial field data collection efforts
- 10% May train and consult with GIS users as needed
- 10% Assists with designing and writing code for SnapPlus software
– 4 years relevant work experience in GIS.
– Strong foundation in GIS application development. Prefer experience with open-source GIS frameworks.
– Understanding of application architecture best-practices.
– Ability to create, edit, and manage large GIS databases.
– Experience with C#, OpenLayers, QGIS, Geoserver, PostgreSQL, PostGIS preferred.
– Familiarity with source control practices and software such as GitHub and SourceTree.
– Strong written and verbal communication skills.
– Ability to work independently and in a team environment.