City of Green Bay
Location: Green Bay, WI
Type: Full Time
Deadline to Apply: Open - no deadline given by employer
Payrate: $57,657.00 - $62,691.00 Annually
More Information: GIS Analyst
The Department of Public Works (DPW) Utility Division is seeking a GIS Analyst to perform work related to the design, implementation, configuration and maintenance of DPW’s comprehensive Geographic Information System (GIS).
Examples of Duties
- Designs, monitors and maintains the structure and integrity of the department’s GIS database in the ArcGIS server environment.
- Implements and supports an enterprise asset management system and computerized maintenance management systems such as CityWorks.
- Operates in the ArcGIS environment using specialized query tools to integrate and synthesize geospatial data to enterprise asset management, computerized maintenance management systems, hydraulic model, and mobile projects.
- Researches, tests, and recommends modification, customization, or procurement of GIS software or business processes.
- Implements Geodetic Positioning Survey (GPS) technology, providing direction for field data collection and post-processing operations, including hand-held and stationary units. Supports staff through technical support, training, and occasional field work.
- Develops and undertakes GIS spatial-relational database projects. Responsible for complex analysis and representation of data in maps, and develops methods and procedures to automate routine spatial analysis.
- Evaluates requests from department staff for new GIS interfaces, applications, or functionality. Prepares technical specifications and recommends options to managers to meet specialized GIS needs of the DPW Sections. Provides guidance and customer support to GIS users and provides technical support and training for system use and applications.
- Automates GIS data for creation, conversion, geo-processing, and advanced cartographic map design and production.
- Prepares applications documentation, user-training materials and quality control procedures, status reports, and other written correspondence.
- Maintains GIS-related software licenses and hardware.
- Coordinates the release of department GIS data to outside agencies.
- Updates field-verified infrastructure data in GIS; construction of as-built data into the department GIS database, as required.
- Provides IT backup support to the IT manager and occasionally performs needed website and social media implementations and updates.
- Performs work on special projects as assigned.
- Performs other related work as required.
Minimum Qualifications Required
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Geosciences, Geography, or related field, or comparable amount of directly related experience may be substituted along with a GISP or Technical Certifications
- Three to five years of experience performing GIS analysis related activities.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- GISP certification preferred.
A combination of equivalent experience and/or education may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge and experience interpreting data models and developing database structures.
- Knowledge of GPS mobile field data collection and equipment.
- Ability to design and develop computer data models and ability to implement and troubleshoot programming changes and modifications.
- Ability to produce geographic files, maps and other representations of spatial data. Ability to operate printing, plotting, scanning and/or other application software typical to office cartographic mapping work environments.
- Ability to proficiently utilize a computer and the required software.
- Ability to focus for long periods of time and be attentive to detail. Ability to work independently and advise employees with variable levels of computer knowledge and skill. Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with information technology personnel, and non-technical staff. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the public.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, complete assignments on time and work with minimal supervision. Ability to work the required hours of the position.