Town of Rib Mountain
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
Purpose of the Position
This position provides a college student or graduate interested in GIS, Municipal Planning, or Civil
Engineering the opportunity to gain valuable work experience during the summer months. This is a
temporary position up to 40 hours per week for 12 weeks. The position can be extended to a part-time
basis during fall semester. The position will include work at both the Rib Mountain Sanitary District and
Town of Rib Mountain Public Works Department. The student selected for this program will perform
various office and field duties, while having the opportunity to observe first-hand the operation and
organization of a local government Public Works and Utility Departments.
Work is performed under the direction of the Street & Park Superintendent and Director of Utilities.
Education and Skills Required
Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, environmental studies, environmental engineering, civil
engineering, geographic information systems, land use planning, urban planning, or other related fields.
Preference will be given to candidates with the following:
- Experience with land information, parcel data, map, and aerial photo interpretation desired.
- Excellent computer skills including experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Knowledge of and/or the ability to learn ESRI’s ArcMap 10.4 Geographic Information System (GIS)
mapping software, ESRI ARCGIS Online mapping and the ESRI Collector App. All three are
- Assist the Public Works Department Utility with WDNR storm water management inspections and
permit compliance, storm sewer, sanitary sewer, and water distribution system mapping and
- Inspect road construction projects which may include concrete, asphalt, gravel, storm sewer, sanitary
sewer, and traffic signal devices.
- Assist with GIS applications, Trimble GPS field data acquisition, mapping support, data analysis, use,
update and maintain program equipment.
- Able to perform field work such as collecting location data, measuring distances, accurately recording
numbers to field notes, establishing field drawings and work in outdoor conditions.
- Accurately enter numbers to data fields to update GIS records from paper copies.
- Work safely on roadway conditions collecting data and location data.
- Be able to suggest improved practices on organizing and updating the GIS system currently in place.
- Ability to help with general work assignments both inside the office and outside in the field.
- Ability to work with limited supervision, independently establish priorities and complete tasks.
- Ability to work in varied field and office conditions.
- Must possess good writing, research, communication, interpersonal, typing, data processing and
- Possess and maintain a valid Wisconsin driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
Frequently required to stand, sit, talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25
pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Ability to exert moderate physical effort in sedentary to light work, typically involving some combination of
climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling. May
be exposed to inclement weather conditions.
How to apply:
Send letter of interest, current resume, and Town employment application to the Town of Rib Mountain,
Department of Public Works, 227800 Snowbird Ave, Wausau, WI, 54401 or email to
email@example.com. Direct questions to Scott Turner, Street and Park Superintendent at
(715) 848-5123. Applications available online at https://www.ribmountainwi.gov/index.php.
Deadline: Applications, cover letter, and resume must be postmarked by April 28, 2023.