Bay-Lake Regional Planning Commission
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
The Bay-Lake RPC is seeking a qualified individual to lead the development and implementation of our GIS and related web-based applications. The GIS Specialist position is primarily responsible for designing, developing, implementing, and managing a computer-based GIS mapping and information system for the Bay-Lake region. The GIS Specialist will work under the supervision of the Executive Director.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
• Maintain and develop the Bay-Lake RPC’s GIS infrastructure including server, software, and web application;
• Maintains the Bay-Lake RPC’s GIS-related software licenses, hardware, and ArcGIS Online accounts;
• Manage the flow and dissemination of all cartographic information, keeping existing maps and databases updated;
• Serve as the primary contact person regarding mapping and GIS assistance within the Bay-Lake region;
• Support Bay-Lake RPC staff by developing/providing maps and displays, and on-line resources used for community development planning, online asset management systems, and grant applications;
• Provide training of Bay-Lake RPC staff and/or communities in usage of various GIS-related computer/mobile applications;
• Provide a wide variety of GIS solutions from asset management, public engagement efforts, and web-based GIS solutions for mobile devices and office.
• Consult with staff to ascertain the purpose and requirements of the art and illustrations and the appropriate style needed for documents and other publications;
• Assist with design of the annual report, posters, signs, graphic charts, interactive web and story maps; and other publications and displays;
• Collect data and develops GIS analyses based on the merging of geographic data sets to be used as part of Bay-Lake RPC planning reports;
• Prepare a variety of graphic materials including program announcements, registration flyers, and panel displays;
• Maintain and update the Bay-Lake RPC’s website and possibly web development;
• Troubleshoot computer hardware and software problems;
• Promote Bay-Lake RPC GIS services throughout the region;
• Participate in professional development activities
Knowledge and Skills
• Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Planning, or GIS-related field from an accredited college or university. A GIS Certificate preferred.
• Two or more years of responsible GIS experience preferred.
• Extensive proficiency with ESRI suite of software products, specifically ArcPro, ArcGIS Online,
• Knowledge of current GIS technology and database applications.
• Knowledge of the principles, practices, terminology, and trends in geographic information system design and usage for modern land-based mapping.
• Knowledge of cartographic design and best practices. Proficiency in graphic design is also desired.
• Knowledge of land records management practices and land records modernization processes in Wisconsin.
• Knowledge of demographics, statistics, and spatial analysis.
• Considerable experience with various computer software including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop).
• Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, technical information related to cartography and spatial analysis to policy makers and elected officials.
• Ability to meet timelines and manage multiple projects with minimum supervision.
• Ability to work independently or in a team environment as needed.
• The GIS Specialist must be able to maintain a flexible schedule for the purpose of attending evening meeting