City of De Pere
This is an EXPIRED job listing. Do not apply for this position!
This position will be responsible for the administration, implementation and ongoing maintenance of the citywide Geographic Information System (GIS). The work of the GIS Manager involves utilizing GIS software to develop, create, maintain, edit and update citywide GIS databases.
- Manage and maintain ESRI ArcGIS server and ESRI online services.
- Oversee the creation, management and expansion of the City of De Pere Geographic Information System (GIS).
- Manage GIS-related databases and permissions.
- Manage design, documentation, testing, creation or modification of applications related to GIS for internal and external clients.
- Analyze techniques and procedures, including consulting with internal City department users to determine GIS system functional specifications.
- Work with City staff to collect, organize, update, and maintain GIS data; develop data conversion procedures for current and future related applications.
- Conduct periodic user needs assessments and manage the creation of applications of GIS systems for other City departments, including determining the ongoing requirements for the City’s GIS by department.
- Develop and establish standards for GIS procedures, analysis, map production, documentation and data management.
- Interpret GIS spatial data pertaining to City departments and divisions and make data and operational modifications and adjustments to enhance GIS system operations and performance.
- Conduct research, develop maps, provide training, and make presentations on GIS.
- Assist the public, businesses, and other governmental agency users with issues relating to the City’s online GIS program.
- Establish and maintain relationships with other City, County, and State GIS groups for current and future collaboration on projects.
- Incorporate GPS (Global Positioning System) data into the city GIS, including third-party applications.
- Evaluate software and make recommendations on purchase and/or use.
- Maintain current knowledge of technological developments by conducting research and attending meetings, trainings, seminars, and conferences.
- Manage the City of De Pere Drone Team. Organize training for FAA exam and conduct flight training. Ensure current FAA licensing for all pilots. Evaluate aircraft, software, and insurance and make recommendations on purchase and/or use. Monitor aircraft registration compliance. Monitor compliance with flight logs and airspace approvals (LAANC). Continue to promote pilot and user safety.
- Develop annual department budget and ensure budget is utilized appropriately.
- Maintain prompt, predictable and reliable attendance. Maintain the ability to lawfully operate a motor vehicle.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Extensive knowledge of GIS software and related application modules running on Windows platforms is required. Thorough knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS Server management and supporting applications is required. Thorough knowledge of the principles and methods for developing GIS applications to manipulate and utilize raw data is preferred. Experience with ESRI’s ArcGIS, Arc-SDE, ArcGIS Online dashboards and mobile editing, and Intergraph MGE preferred. Thorough knowledge of Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS), and Microsoft SQL Servers preferred. Thorough knowledge of the principles and methods for analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data in both narrative and graphical formats, including cartographic, analytical, and other related techniques preferred.
Strong analytical skills and logical thought processes, with the ability to identify and resolve complex GIS and database issues/problems. Skill in the operation of equipment needed to effectively perform the duties and responsibilities of the position, including modern office equipment.
Ability to operate survey-grade Global Positioning System (GPS) as well as traditional survey equipment. Ability to use City GIS proficiently as it pertains to mapping and municipal engineering applications. Ability to prepare a variety of documents including technical reports and maps with strong attention to cartographic principles and details. Ability to train users and staff on equipment, field data collection, and software applications. Ability to organize, schedule, prioritize, and perform work with limited supervision. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with business representatives, elected officials, department heads, the general public, and other City employees. Ability to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the public. Ability to utilize a computer and required software. Ability to work the required hours of the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in geography, geographic information systems, engineering or closely related field from an educational institution accredited by a DOE recognized accreditation body.
- Three to five years progressive experience involving support of and creation of geographic mapping, planning and GIS data maintenance and analysis.
- Current GISP certificate or the ability to obtain one is desirable.
- Valid unencumbered Wisconsin driver’s license and safe driving record.
A combination of education and/or experience may be considered.